Vice President's Reinvention Initiatives
Al Gore has led the administration's effort to reform and reinvent government --making it work better, cost less, and get results American care about.
Under Reinventing Government:
- $136 billion has been saved since 1993.
- Per capita government spending has actually gone down for the first time since President Eisenhower's administration.
- With 377,000 fewer employees, the federal government is now the smallest it has been since President Eisenhower.
The National Partnership for Reinventing Government is now working to achieve further progress for the American people:
- Agencies that have the most contact with the public are reforming themselves to deliver better and faster customer service.
- Al Gore is leading the effort to move toward "e-government"- to put critical government information and services on the Internet. Through this effort, NPR has worked with agencies to establish one-stop web sites to help students apply for educational loans, help seniors find out about their Social Security benefits, and help small business owners get assistance and access to capital. By the end of the year, more than 40 million Americans will transact business with the government electronically.
- New partnerships are being formed with state and local governments and the private sector to focus on and achieve clear goals, such as dramatically reducing gun violence; helping states provide health insurance for all children; and helping all Americans get the job skills they need to succeed in the 21st Century.
By improving government, all of these efforts are aimed at restoring the American people's trust in self-government and their confidence that government can make a positive difference in their lives.
Foreign Policy Initiatives
The 1996 Telecommunications Reform Bill
President and First Lady | Vice President and Mrs. Gore
Record of Progress | The Briefing Room
Gateway to Government | Contacting the White House | White House for Kids
White House History | White House Tours | Help
T H E W H I T E H O U S E